17 February 2009

Galaxy of Cars Show - 1st, February 2009

Galaxy of Cars

1st, February 2009

You can tell it’s summer purely based on the number of car related shows that are popping up everywhere all over the country. Some we make it to with the Red Shift cameras, and most we don’t. It’s hard to be everywhere at once. As stated in the previous blog, I don’t get to make it to every show that Cal and Stu make it too, and it’s often vice versa too. Galaxy of Cars is a fine example of this very fact. Its not specifically a Hot Rod show, and being that the boys were off filming elsewhere down the line, I decided I would zip to it with my trusty $168 panasonic camera and get some stills for ya’s.

This would be about the 4th or 5th time I have made the trip to the MOTAT grounds in Auckland to enjoy what is normally a pretty laid back day. This was to be no different with the usual array of classics and hot rods on display. Being that this is an open category type show, you get cars show up that frankly bore me to death. I mean, people show up in their late model Holdens and Fords (and even a couple of jappers), and no offence, but BORING!!!! I can see those cars every day at the supermarket parking lot, and I just don’t get the point of showing them off at a show.

Anyways, that’s not really important is it? Im just ranting. I convoyed over in my Valiant with my good mate Fish in his 57 Buick, and a fellow New Zealand Mopar Forumite named Richard in his Valiant Charger. We arrived to find the cue to get in a lot shorter than previous years, but I believe this to be due to the opening up of a two-lane entrance as opposed to single lanes of previous years, good call on the promoter’s behalf.

Most cars were shuffled into one large field and mostly segregated to areas based upon which car club they belonged too, or if not affiliated to a club, they sent you down the back. Sooooo, down the back we went. But that’s where most of the coolest cars were parked anyways, haha. So I parked up, grabbed the camera and had a perve around whilst enjoying catching up with many good friends along the way.

It was a bloody hot day I can tell you that much, and it didn’t take long to get my tan on. Being the red headed, freckled monger that I am, I am impervious to the suns rays, so it had no effect on me really……YEAH RIGHT. I was redder than the neck of a southern boy with his pants down chasing a squealing pig through a mud pit.

The band (don’t know their name sorry) was playing some great tunes, there were vendors selling the usual junk food with no flavor and over priced bottles of water. The swap meet left a bit to be desired, but that’s pretty normal for swap meets that aren’t automotive dedicated. After a quick look there I headed round the airplane sheds, which is mostly made up of English oriented car clubs. A good range of Army vehicles resided at the far end of the sheds, and kids were having fun climbing all over them and being told how everything works. Cool.

With all that taken in, I decided it was home time. I was hungry (a wasn’t going to risk eating the junk that was up for grabs), so I made tracks around 1pm. I will now let the pictures do the rest of the talking.

Ps – I don’t know who took the picture of the girl in the black socks…….honest. ;-)



Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment